Sunday, July 4, 2010

A heart's desire and a Godly man

I'm on a journey. One which I didn't ever think I would be on, though I always hoped that I might. To give a little bit of background, about 4 years ago, God gave me a real heart for the people of Burma (Myanmar) in South East Asia. I didn't really do anythng with these feelings and just liked talking to people about my passion for 'Myanmar' to which they often responded with intrigued looks as if to say "Where on earth are you talking about?". Over time, busy with study, graduating, starting my teaching career, this heart seemed to get lost somewhere under the piles of uni texts and social commitments. Until...

In February this year Rob Kilpatrick of World Vision spoke at my church and I had a chat with him about someof the similarities and differences between World Vision and Compassion (being a Compassion Sponsor and Advocate myself). We had a good informative chat and that was that. But about an hour later as I sat with my friends in the cafe playing that funny game where you put marbles in holes, Rob called me over to his table, handed me his business card and said, "You need to come to Burma." Sometimes God is so unsubtle. It was such a powerful moment and we both felt it as he realised the message he had delivered and I comprehended the mission I was being called to. I was to go to Burma.

No comments:

Post a Comment