Monday, January 3, 2011

a smile speaks a thousand words...

I have been so overwhelmed by the generosity and positive spirit of the Thai people. Even those who are extremely poor seem so upbeat and love to stop for a chat. Such a contrast to the sombre, self-consumed attitudes of many westerners. In Thai culture, smiles mean many things. They can indicate amusement, excuse or grant pardon for minor offenses, thank someone for a small service, allow someone to avoid comment on an issue, or to show embarrassment.

I met this little boy when I caught a Sorng Taow this morning. His dad told him to speak in English to me, saying "Teacher, teacher". How did he know?!? When I asked if I could take his photo, he agreed and then proceeded to pull a very typical 6-yr-old silly face!

I cannot remember the little boy's name, but he told me he is 6 years old and was quite content to draw elephant pictures as we bumped along. I couldn't believe how neatly he could draw on the rough journey.


Tonight I visited the Night Bazaar - a huge mass of street stalls set up primarily for westerners (I think) as many of the large hotels are in the same street. I had a great time bartering and chatting to the vendors, many of whom asked where I was from. I bought some T-shirts off this guy and when he asked where I was from he pointed to his own shirt and I couldn't resist capturing his love of the Wallabies for all my footy fan friends back home. He was more than willing to oblige and we shared a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment