Friday, January 7, 2011

My Asian angel...



Throughout our lives, my sister and I have had a number of experiences with "Asian angels" - people that walk into our life in the simplest of circumstances but invest something that moves and changes us forever more. I knew I would probably meet a few on this trip (in fact mum prayed that they would be there for me) and I already have.



This is Hser Gay Paw- she has been working for Partners for 13 years, making her the longest serving staff member. Her job is to oversee the sewing and weaving projects that are sold to help fund some of the work Partners do. I had the privilege of spending the past two days with her helping to complete an order of potholders due to be sent to Alaska on Monday. Hser Gay Paw collects the woven fabric from the Karen refugee camps and then does ALL of the designing, cutting and sewing single-handed! She is a real inspiration.



She was so thankful for my help and I really enjoyed working alongside her. Although she is Karen and her first langauge is Karen, she speaks surprisingly good English, Thai (from her time spent growing up in Mae Sot), and a little bit of Burmese. She shared many stories about her family, upbringing, and experiences in Burma and Thailand. I liked the way I didn't need to ask, we just worked away and every now and then she would tell me a new story or show me a photograph. She spoke very fondly of Marv - a longterm staffmember who died of cancer in October. Mav and his wife Dorothy don't have any children of their own and consider the Partners staff as their children. For Hser Gay Paw this is even more special as her mother died when she was 4 and her father when she was 8. I can tell she is still grieving Marv's death and she has asked me to come to her church next week to attend a memorial service she prepared.

I feel so honoured.

I feel like Hser Gay Paw is a mother away from home. She even told me I shouldn't stay at Mountainview but should come to stay at her house. What an offer from someone who has known me only 4 days! I told her next time I come I will stay with her and teach her daughters English.


Everyone at the office has told me what an honour it would be to travel with Hser Gay Paw to one of the Karen weaving villages, which she has already invited me to do, so I am hoping I will get the opportunity very soon (and that it doesn't clash with any of the other trips I'm about to embark on).


If anyone would like to purchase any of the beautiful handmade goods (Bags, potholders, purses, scarves, etc) please let me know and I will bring some home. There are limited items listed on the Partners Australia website http://www.partnersworld.org.au/ if you want to have a look or I will add more photos here one I have them. Know that you are investing into the surivival and hope of the displaced Karen people.

1 comment:

  1. Hey love, I'm not quite sure about blog etiquette - do you answer questions on the person's site who asked? Or on the same post? Josh also got confused when he saw the photo in the woods which was actually 2. We are having a bit of a mulray with immigration so am not applying for work until I'm legal. Getting to know the city though in preparation. It's also interferring with Josh's starting of studies. Canadian Consul in Sydney - if you are reading this we are really nice people. Please sort this out or else I will post poo to your letterbox. Will call immigration tomorrow to chase up. Sounds like you are making great in-roads and so lovely to be working with local people. There are refugees here from Burma so would be great to meet some Chin and Karen here like at home in Brissie. Lots of love xo

    ReplyDelete