Sunday, January 2, 2011

road rules...

Thailand has a pretty good system of pubic transport and I have been catching Sorng Taow's for most of my trips. Sorng Taow literally meaning '2 lines' as it has two bench seats in the back of a ute. A ride across town is usually about 20 baht for a tourist like myself which works out to about 65 cents - cheap compared to Aussie taxi's and the great thing is that because the price is negotiated on boarding, even if the traffic is bad, the price is still the same.

I am constantly amazed at how accommodating of each other Thai drivers are. They don't stay in any one lane, pull out with no notice, never indicate, talk on mobile phone while driving (even on motorbikes!) and frequently change their mind, but yet rarely use horns and let each other in. Somehow it works.

Often whole families can be seen crammed onto one motorbike or in a tuk tuk. This little girl has us in fits of giggles and stayed very serious when I took her photo even though the rest of her family was laughing.


1 comment:

  1. That picture is great! I've never been to Thailand and I'm enjoying your exploration stories.

    ReplyDelete