Friday, March 25, 2011

stop, drop and pray...

Last night the North-Eastern corner of Burma (where Thailand and Laos meet) was shaken by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake.
After witnessing so many natural disasters occurring in the past 3 months, I know I have become emotionally exhausted. I grieved through the floods, chewed my nails down through cyclone Yasi, prayed my heart out for survivors of Christchurch's earthquake, and had to turn the TV off during Japan's quake/ tsunami - it was all too much.
But now the country that I care so deeply for is in trouble. You might think "Oh, the death toll is only 60, it's not that bad", but please remember some critical points:
- 60 people in remote villages could mean whole families deceased or mothers and children left without anyone to provide for them.
- 30% of all structure are reported to be damaged - and I can't see the Myanmar officials handing out centrelink payments or facilitating the rebuild, can you?
- These people are poor and needy already. How much worse off they will be if their water supplies are damaged, houses are unliveable, and livelihoods affected?

Please join with me and PRAY FOR BURMA.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/25/3174101.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment